The first response from most people we tell is "really? so soon!" but it's true, we are pregnant. After a shaky start, we are happy to share that all is well (at least as of yesterday. I guess this very statement is revealing my continual worry but according to my mom, the worry will never go away... not even when the child is 50 years old!).
During our first official OB visit, we got to meet the newest member of our family. I have to say... even though everyone exclaims that it's such an exciting experience, I have to admit that seeing the blob (aka, carrot, snowman, you name it, it's been labeled) resulted in mix feelings. On one hand, it was comforting to be assured that there was a heartbeat and something really was there but also disappointing to not know what we were looking at.
At the second OB appointment, I heard the baby's heartbeat for the first time. Again, very exciting but more just because I could be once again reassured the baby was still there and doing ok (even though no one felt my tummy to check the baby but they assured me everything was ok. I don't know how they know but guess they are the experts afterall.).
Then yesterday, we had another sonogram to check for chromosomal abnormalities and we saw the baby! A real baby! We agreed that this was probably the most exciting moment of the entire process (aside from finding out which was mixed with fear and anxiety). We could see distinct HUMAN features like the head with eyes, nose, mouth with a torso and attached legs and arms. After the first time, baby daddy's become the expert and identified the heart beat immediately. :) We were informed by the ultrasound technician but the baby seemed fine based on her measurements and that my blood should only confer an even lower risk. Phew....
So in the first trimester, we've had an blessed uneventful first few weeks which we hope will continue in the coming months and years. And yes, it's true. This is permanent and our life along with our families and friends have now been permanently changed....

OMG baby looks huge!!
ReplyDelete